What is Story?
Welcome to Story, the campaign to celebrate the short story. We believe that the short story is one of the most exciting and important literary forms, and that it can and should reach the widest possible readership. We believe that the short story matters.
Research has shown that writers are more than eager to grapple with the exquisite craft of the short story, and readers are more than ready to consume its treasures.
However, this once popular medium struggles to receive the attention it deserves, despite its position as one of the elite forms of modern literature. Building on the huge success of the Save Our Short Story campaign, Story aims to increase the profile, prestige and presence of the short story in our culture; whether you are a writer or someone working with books, we want you to join us in order to help it thrive.
What are we doing?
• Advocacy – we will be championing the short story wherever
and to whomever we can
• Innovative projects – we will be both supporting existing initiatives and setting up new ones to promote short stories in a variety of settings, bringing new readers, writers and publishers to the form.
• Information resource – the website will act as a central information point for all things 'short story'
• Readership development – we will work with libraries and bookshops to promote lending and sales of collections and anthologies
• National short story prize – we are collaborating on the establishment of the largest prize for a single short story in the world
What can you do?
Sign up to join story and receive regular email updates and specially commissioned stories
Let us know about short story publications, events, projects, workshops and activities you are organising or involved in so that we can include them on this site
Become involved in the huge range of short story workshops and activities going on around the UK
Go along to short story events at Literary Festivals
Buy and read short stories you can explore our short story bibliography for ideas
Let publishers, booksellers and libraries know that you want to read more short stories and give positive feedback to those who support the cause
Buy newspapers and magazines that publish short stories, for example Prospect
Tell your friends and family about the pleasures of the short story; share your passion and direct them to this website
Find out more
Sign-up for our e-newsletter find out more
Free short stories by the best writers for you to download find out more
BBC National Short Story Award find out more